- December 02nd, 2015
- Empowered Health
- Digestion, eating habits, healthy diet, Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- 0 Comments
What can be done to support your digestion throughout the silly season?
A new morning ritual
Try this lovely digestive tea to help promote digestive secretions and healthy levels of stomach acid (HCL: needed for protein digestion)
Tall glass of boiled water allow to cool slightly
1 capful of Apple Cider Vinegar (raw, organic and unfiltered)
Juice of half a small lemon, you can add some of the rind also
½ teaspoon cayenne pepper powder
½ teaspoon turmeric powder
Optional: honey to taste
These ingredients have been shown to have a number of health benefits that include:
Apple Cider Vinegar
- Blood sugar regulation.
- Lowers LDL and high triglyceride levels in the blood.
- Increases HCL (hydrochloric acid) production in the stomach. HCL converts pepsinogen into the enzyme pepsin which breaks down proteins into amino acids.
- High in potassium, vitamin C, vitamin B1, 2 & 3 and Bio-flavonoids, great for the immune system.
- Lemon aids in digestion due the similarity to our bodies own digestive secretions.
- Acts as a liver cleanser and stimulates bile production which is important in fat metabolism.
- Can help to reduce acidity within the body, especially uric acid production which increases with alcohol consumption.
- High in iron, calcium, sulphur, magnesium, potassium, vitamin A, C and B complex
- Stimulates the salivary glands which is where the digestive process begins. Salivary amylase is an enzyme that aids in the breakdown of carbohydrates.
- Stimulates circulation and production of gastric juices.
- Stimulates the gallbladder to release bile, important for fat metabolism.
- Improves the absorption of nutrients in the small intestine and promotes intestinal flora.
- Supports the health of gastric wall mucosa, which acts as a protective barrier for the gut wall.
- Can reduce the production of gas.
This lovely digestive tea can be used first thing in the morning to kick start your digestion and detoxification or why not try sipping on this tonic after a heavy meal.
Other handy tips for a happy festive tummy
- Walk every day for 30 minutes.
- Drink 6-8 glasses of water throughout the day.
- Eat mindfully where possible. This means in a calm and relaxed state.
- Start juicing! Summer is the perfect time to indulge in vegetable juices. To help with digestion try adding beetroot, carrot, ginger, celery, cucumber, mint, lemon and pineapple.
- Try to limit the refined sugars and carbohydrates, this includes cereals, bread and pasta.
- Ask your Naturopath to help support your digestion with a herbal tonic that can be formulated to your individual requirements.
Emma Tippett is an enthusiastic and caring naturopathic practitioner. As a dedicated Melbourne Naturopath she believes that finding and maintaining your optimal health is the primary focus of your treatment.
Want to feel healthy again?
Book in for a Consultation at Empowered Health!