Lets face it, being a modern day parent can be pretty tough at times especially if our children don’t seem to be thriving as they should. A healthy child will make your job as a parent that much easier, especially knowing that they thriving in all aspects. So let me share with you why their digestive system will help them grow happy and healthy.
Key facts about your child’s digestive system
● The digestive system has over 500 million nerve cells and more brain cells than the brain itself!
● The gut helps regulate nervous system function and equilibrium.
● It contains over 85% of the body’s immune cells
● It has the highest cellular turnover rate in the body which means it is easily influenced by insults to the body.
● Lastly, it manufactures key vitamins and nutrients for the body to use
The digestive system is the central hub to the way our brain functions, how our immune
system manages threat and our overall nutritional status.
“All Disease begins in the Gut” Hippocrates (2500 years ago)
Here are a few tips that can take on board to ensure this system is healthy in your child.
1. Ensure their diet is free from synthetic, highly refined pseudofoods.
If your grandmother wouldn’t recognise it as food then don’t feed it to your kids.
2. Ensure there is natural diversity within the diet. I tell children in my consulting room that their body needs them too eat a minimum of 15 different types of food each day.
These must be all colours of the rainbow.
3. Give your child a minimum of 3 serves of protein per day. Use varied types including,
lean meats, fish, nuts, eggs, legumes, beans & tofu. Protein will support a robust appetite and ensure lean muscle development.
4. Use fermented foods in your diet since they act as a prebiotic fuel for your body to manufacture its own probiotics. Examples include, Whole Yoghurt, Sauerkraut, Kim
Chi, Kafir and Tempeh.
5. Consult a qualified naturopath to help resolve any ongoing digestive complaints or concerns that may involve the function of this system. Naturopathic medicine has excellent tools to support optimal function of the digestive system.
So ensuring your child’s digestive system is healthy, is vital to their whole health. Have questions? Then why not gives us a call so we can help.
Want to feel healthy again?
Book in for a Consultation at Empowered Health!