It has been recognised that around 1 in 5 Australians aged 16–85 years suffer from some form of mental illnesses. If you are feeling low, then you’re not alone. Depression is a serious illness and can last for weeks, months or even years. You may be exploring natural medicine either in conjunction with your medication or as an alternative to current medication. Natural Medicine aims to get the the cause of this imbalance, not just the symptoms. We recognise that working in conjunction with other health care providers may be of benefit and it’s about a team approach to help you feel good again. Talk to one of our natural therapists who specialises in helping people who have depression.
What are some of the signs of depression?
- I feel irritable, anxious, depressed and/or isolated
- My depression/anxiety is affecting my relationships and/or work performance
- I no longer take pleasure in activities I once enjoyed
- My libido, appetite and/or sleep patterns are disturbed
- I worry more than l should and have problems concentrating or staying focused on conversations or tasks at hand
- I am losing or gaining weight faster than usual
If your answer is YES to any one or combination of these, you may be suffering from one or a combination of mood disorders including anxiety and/ or depression.
The rates for medically diagnosed Anxiety and Depression have tripled in the last 10-15 years. Mental health disorders are also recognised as a disability that are legally upheld under the Mental Health Act. If left untreated, the effects of chronic stress, anxiety or depression may become quite debilitating, often leading to progressive cognitive decline and physical / mental disability.